*This post may contain affiliate links
Knowing which foods dogs can and can’t eat is extremely valuable.
Just because a food is safe for humans doesn’t mean it’s not toxic for your furry family member. It’s tempting to share your food and most of the time it’s harmless in small quantities. That being said, it’s important to note the food you should avoid feeding to your dog altogether. There are many variables that must be determined before you know how toxic the food ingested is. Things like how much your dog ate, certain parts of the food like pits in fruit, or what size dog you have are all factors to consider. This is not an all-inclusive list. If you are in doubt about whether certain foods are safe, please use caution and contact your veterinarian.
Dogs that have eaten something toxic may demonstrate any of the following symptoms:
Lack of appetite
If you suspect your pet has eaten any of the following foods, please note the amount ingested and contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435. I have their number saved in my phone just in case.
Below is a list of harmful food for your pet:
The thought of a tipsy pooch running around sounds entertaining but what happens after the party? Alcohol can intoxicate your dog and even induce coma or death. Under no circumstances should your pet be given any alcohol. This includes food products containing alcohol. Contact your veterinarian or ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center immediately if you suspect your dog has ingested alcohol.
2. Onions, Garlic, Chives
Do dogs even like onions? My dog won't go near them! Nonetheless, onions can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could lead to red blood cell damage. Dogs are at risk if a large enough amount is consumed.
3. Milk and Dairy
I'm not gonna lie, my dachshund, Rocket, gets a puppuccino from Starbucks from time to time. So much that they know his name. Just be aware that dogs can be lactose intolerant. Milk and other dairy-based products can cause diarrhea or other digestive upset.
4. Grapes and Raisins
What happens to a grape when it gets stepped on by a Great Dane? It lets out a little whine. Jokes aside, even small amounts can prove to be fatally toxic to a dog. These fruits can cause kidney failure so it’s best to avoid feeding grapes and raisins altogether.
5. Chocolate, Coffee, and Caffeine
They may give you puppy eyes, they may cry, they may drool but don't give in! Your dog should never consume chocolate, coffee or caffeine. Severe cases can be fatal.
Darker chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate. White chocolate has the lowest level of toxic methylxanthines, while baking chocolate contains the highest.
Really? This one surprised me the most! The stems, leaves, peels, fruit and seeds of citrus plants such as lemons, oranges, and grapefruits contain varying amounts of citric acid that can be harmful to dogs. The acid is found all over the plant, from the actual fruit and the seeds to the skin, leaves, and stems. If your dog eats them, especially in big amounts, it can cause serious problems to their central nervous system. Small doses such as eating a wedge of orange may not present problems beyond minor stomach upsets.
7. Coconut and Coconut Oil
Coconut oil fixes everything! Rub it on your skin, your car, your relationship, your belly for good luck! There is a bit of controversy around the safety of our canine companions ingesting coconut oil. Coconut oil when applied topically can aid dogs with itchy or bumpy skin and improve their skin and coat. When ingested in small amounts, coconut and coconut-based products are not likely to cause serious harm to your pet but can cause stomach upset, loose stools or diarrhea. Dogs prone to pancreatitis should avoid coconut oil as it can be a risk due to its high-fat content. It’s best to ask your veterinarian if coconut oil is safe.
8. Macadamia Nuts
Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia in dogs. Signs usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion and can last approximately 12 to 48 hours.
Ahh, nuts! Nuts contain high amounts of oils and fats which can cause diarrhea and vomiting. Additionally, they can potentially cause pancreatitis in dogs. According to Nationwide pet insurance, walnut poisoning is one of the most common claims for toxic ingestion. If you have a walnut tree and your dog ingests old, moist or moldy walnuts off the ground contact your vet immediately.
Nut allergies are just as common in dogs as they are in humans.
10. Raw / Undercooked Meat, Eggs and Bones
I don't think my pup would survive one day in the wild. I can just picture him saying, “I have no idea what I'm doing” over and over. Wild animals obviously chow down on raw meat but that doesn't mean it's safe for all domesticated dogs. There’s a lot of conflicting information about raw foods for dogs. Raw meat and raw eggs can contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli that can be harmful to dogs. Raw bones can be very dangerous for a domestic dog. The bone can be brittle and cause lacerations and obstructions in your dog’s digestive system. The potential for choking is very serious as well.
If you thought salt was bad for vampires, you should see what it does to dogs. Eating too much salt can produce excessive thirst and urination and potentially lead to sodium ion poisoning. Feeding your dog large amounts of salt-heavy snacks like pretzels or chips can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures and even death.
This stuff is bad to the bone. Xylitol is used as a sweetener in many products, including sugarless gum, candy, baked goods, and toothpaste. It is toxic to dogs and ingestion can be fatal. Ladies, if you have gum in your purse, keep it out of reach of your dog.
13. Yeast Dough
I know the Ghostbusters weren't afraid of the Pillsbury dough boy, but your dog should be. Yeast dough can expand in your dog’s stomach or intestines causing gas to accumulate in their digestive system. Ingestion can be life threatening as it can cause the stomach to bloat and twist.
If you suspect your dog has ingested something toxic, see your veterinarian immediately.
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.
This information was compiled from various sources.